NATIONAL MUSEUM OF COLOMBO
The Colombo Museum as it was called at the beginning was established on 1st January 1877 and is the largest and one of the two museums in Colombo.. It founder was Sir William Henry Gregory, the British Governor of Ceylon (Sri Lanka) at the time. The museum holds collections of much importance to Sri Lanka such as the regalia of the country, including the throne and crown of the Kandyan monarchs as well as many other exhibits telling the story of ancient Sri Lanka.
SRI LANKA PORTS AUTHORITY MARITIME MUSEUM
The Sri Lanka Ports Authority Maritime Museum , commonly known as the Colombo Maritime Museum, is located at 19 Chaithya Road, Colombo, adjacent to the Colombo Port.The museum is housed in a former Dutch prison, built in 1676, which is the only surviving Dutch period building within the Colombo Port area. The building has been refurbished and renovated to accommodate the artifacts and officially opened in August 2003. Various items of historical significance relating to the ports of the country, it’s maritime industry and the ocean around Sri Lanka are on display. There are also art works, and models symbolizing the systematic development of the Colombo Port and equipment used in Port operation during various times.
This two storied large building reflecting the features of a 17th century Dutch Urban house was built by Thomas Van Rhee, The Dutch Governor of Sri Lanka from 1692- 1697 as his official residence. During the British period in 1796 this building was used as an army hospital, police training centre, Pettah post office and telecommunication centre.
The museum while displaying the Dutch legacy with the artifacts including furniture, ceramics, coins and weaponry, portraying the various facets of contemporary life and culture.